Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Chicken & Dumpling Soup


Ken loves chicken and dumplings, so I decided to make it for him last week. Unfortunately he ate it late, since we had a freak snow storm and the main road into town was closed down for a few hours because the hill was too dangerous to pass. I really enjoyed it, even though I'm not the biggest dumpling fan. I like that this dumpling recipe makes smaller dumplings, instead of the big yeasty ones.

Boil 4 chicken breasts in large pot, dice, reserve water for stock (8 cups)
After pot is emptied, add a little butter or oil and saute 1/3 C. chopped onions, 2 cloves chopped garlic, and 2 chopped carrots. Add water back in, and add bullion cubes to season the water. I used 4-5 for 8 cups water. Add dumplings in and cook as directed by recipe, but don't worry about the broth it calls for. WATCH your pot... it needs to be pretty deep so they don't boil over. I had to keep lifting the lid every 30-60 seconds because my pot wasn't very deep. Add chicken and let simmer for a few minutes.

I didn't serve it with anything since the soup is great alone. It's perfect for a cold day, and even better when you're snowed in. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment